From Counting Miles to Counting Steps

I know. I said I would update more often. But truthfully, I've physically started writing a blog post at least 4 times, only to get discouraged and not post. "Fit pregnancy" has been hard, ya'll.

First I had really low blood pressure in the first trimester. That has thankfully gotten better, but then I started to get a pain in what felt like a groin muscle pull that radiated up into my back. Come to find out, this is something that many pregnant women experience (even non-runners). It's called pelvic girdle pain, and it might not go away until after the baby is born.

I'm pretty disappointed. I was talking to my mom about it over the phone and I found myself crying when I told her I might just have to stop running after I had a particularly painful run that morning. This might have been mostly because of hormones.. but still a huge disappointment!

So I've had to adjust my expectations. Again. I had this idea that I would tally up all the miles that I had run while carrying my baby. Of course, I can do other things. Like biking, elliptical, and walking (snore). I've felt some pangs of jealously whenever I see a pregnant woman that I followed on twitter post a picture about a great 8 mile run, but staying healthy for my baby is more important. I'm still going to continue to test it with shorter runs, but perhaps the trouble I'm having is just God's way of telling me that I can't run long distances and grow a little person safely at the same time.

What I have been doing:

1) Lifting twice a week. For those really interested, I'm following the beginning program from "The New Rules of Lifting For Women."

2) James and I bought His and Her Jawbone Ups. These have been pretty fun. At first I thought that we might be competing for steps, but then James went and joined the Army Ten Miler training team and I have an office job, so he pretty much dominates in the steps department every day. But, I've been trying to make sure I get 10,000 steps on the days that I don't work out, and just move more during the day in general.

3) Biking. I've found some great pinterest spin workouts that are about 30 minutes long that I can do during lunch at work. I also still did an 18-mile bike ride with my church, but I'm frankly starting to get a little scared of road biking in traffic now. I'm carrying a small person on my torso now!


4) Run-walking. I'll do some kind of interval workout with about 2 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking, etc. It seems like when I run faster, my pelvic girdle pain nearly goes away, so while I'd rather run long, this seems to work for me for now.

So I've gone from counting miles to counting steps. Only about 3 more months of pregnancy to go, so I suppose I can deal a little while longer. And I can't wait to meet our little guy!

<3 Amy

Comments

  1. I haven't been running as much as I thought I would be able to either. I'm lucky if I have 3 runs a week and they are usually a max of 2 miles, anything longer is only if I have a really good day. There is one girl I follow who is still running 5-6 days a week with a long run of 10 miles and she is around 34 weeks. I'm slightly jealous but at the same time I have a 3 year old and most of the time I'm pushing the stroller so it obviously is much harder on me to run, I have gained more weight then her too. I'm much healthier this pregnancy and have gained less than my first. I think your counting steps is an awesome idea, I've been trying to walk at least 2 miles the days I don't workout or run because the more active the better even if it's not a quality run :( Keep it up girl your doing great and try to focus on positives as much as possible. I tend to get down when I start to compare myself to others but when I stop and focus on what good I am doing I'm not as sad about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Communication During Ranger School: A Recap

Ranger Care Package & Florida Update

MilSO Care Package: Deployment Survival Kit