Running After Baby #2

I have been wanting to give a running update, but I've been putting it off at the same time. So here I finally am. And here's the truth: running is painful right now, so I'm not doing much. And I can't enjoy it while it feels this way.

My pregnancy with Ellie really did a number on me. Between our move and some pre-term labor I had around 31 weeks, I didn't work out much at all for the last 2 months. It got to the point where I couldn't even walk my dog for 30 minutes at night without waking up feeling sore like I'd run a half marathon the day before (and you know I know well what that feels like). I was carrying her really low at the end (which made for a quick labor!). But I think to accommodate that, my hips and all surrounding muscles got really loose and weak.

When I run now, it's painful. It's not so painful that I think I'm doing more damage, but it's not what running should feel like. There's lots of uncomfortable-ness. The worst is a pain I feel along where my underwear line is, on the inside of my leg on one side. I was told when I had this during and after my first pregnancy that it's due to a pelvic imbalance. It just feels a lot worse this time around. I'm not really sure I could have done anything differently in the pregnancy. I'm all about having a "fit" pregnancy (heck, I ran a 5k at 36 weeks last time around), but pre-term labor is scary and I couldn't risk the baby being born early this time.
She's more than worth it. 

This time last year, I ran a half marathon at a little over a 9 minute pace. A few days ago, I ran 20 minutes at an 11:19 minute pace. It can be depressing to look at the numbers. I actually almost didn't share my recent pace. I wish I could say that I'm always okay with this lately. But it is hard. It's hard to see friends posting workouts. It's hard when my husband comes back glowing from a great run. However, I'm learning to accept that this is a season of life. This too shall pass. I'm doing Beachbody T-25, which is actually easier to work into my day than running would be with a baby and a toddler. I'm also doing my physical therapy exercises and some Pilates. It may take little while, but I think I'll be able to run distance again with time.
Running at 3.5 months postpartum. 

In the meantime, I have a lot to be thankful for, so I'm learning to be content and trying not to focus on my negative, which in the grand scheme of things, is really not that big. It hurts to run. Big deal. My husband is home (not deployed!), I have two beautiful and healthy children, we've had family visit us out here in S. Korea and have more coming to visit us soon, and some amazing friends here to support me.

And you know what? I love running, but being mom to my two little people give me more joy that running ever has.

"...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."  Philippians 4:11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communication During Ranger School: A Recap

Ranger Care Package & Florida Update

MilSO Care Package: Deployment Survival Kit