Races and time apart

This is kind of a late update, but I did the Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 race last saturday. I ran a 1:36:03, which is a 9:36 pace. Not bad, but I remember when I could do that loop at 8:30 pace. I would like to get back there. :)

It had rained really hard the night before, and this creek was a lot higher than normal. It was about knee deep to cross over this foot bridge, so I decided to use my triathlon transition skills and take my shoes and socks off. It was actually the first time I have ever taken off my shoes during a running race. So I probably lost 2 minutes of so doing that, but this was only one mile into a 10 mile race, and I wasn't about to run 9 more miles in wet shoes. Nuh uh. I hate running in wet shoes.

In other news, I will find out for sure if my hubby passed Phase 2 this week. If he has to recycle (redo phase 2) then I think I'm supposed to find out Wednesday. If he makes it through, he will get to call me on Friday. I'm really praying hard. He is also hearing rumors that his unit might get deployed in January, which is sooner than we thought it would be. Not gonna lie- I did cry when I found that out. I know it's only a rumor but it is discouraging to hear something like that when he's not even done with Ranger School yet. Going to try to trust God on this one.

I also signed up to do another sprint triathlon. It's a small one in LaPorte, Indiana. Soo excited. It will be my first open water swim (first two triathlons were pool swims) and the first one with my cycling shoes.

It's actually kind of hard for me to tell myself it's okay to sign up for these races on my own. I always have done that stuff with my husband, so it feels weird to sign up without having him there to say "yes, let's do this." It's hard to not be able to talk to him on the phone and hear him say "Yes! That sounds fun, go do it." I've also started looking for jobs out near where we will be moving... It's still uncomfortable to have this sort of independence and have to make decisions like that on my own.

Feeling kind of discouraged, I googled "bible verses for Army wives" and I found this Faith Deployed blog. The first verse on that list is Joshua 1:9: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." This was one of the main verses I kept on coming to when I was first trying to decide if I could really be an army wife. I felt like God keeps on telling me this, and I guess I needed reminding.

So. My mantra for the week: to stay strong and courageous for my man.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communication During Ranger School: A Recap

Ranger Care Package & Florida Update

MilSO Care Package: Deployment Survival Kit